Frequently Asked Questions
Expressive Arts Therapy uses active engagement in the arts to address mental, emotional, developmental, and behavioural issues and can be beneficial for individuals that have difficulty verbalising their feelings. It uses the therapeutic relationship between client and therapist in the context of the artistic process as a dynamic force for change.
- it can assist to identify blocks to emotional expression and personal growth
- it can assist in exploring imagination and creativity
- it can provide the opportunity for a person to experience a different way of knowing that is enhanced by different sensory experiences
- it can bypass unhelpful thoughts
- it can help to develop new coping strategies
- it can be fun
- it focuses on strengths and abilities
- arts therapy externalizes and gives form to unfolding material
There are individual reasons as to why someone may seek support. These include, however are not limited to:
- Body image
- Grief and loss
- Life Transitions
- Maintain wellbeing
Your ability to do art is not important and drawing skills are only a small part of art expression. The emphasis is in the process and not the product, which is at the heart of all therapy.
No art training is required, just an open mind and the desire to explore the magic of the expressive arts.
Expressive Arts therapy can include Sand work, drawing, painting, clay, collage, textiles – the possibilities are endless, and together we will determine what is best for you.
No, the person who made the artwork is the expert in what has been created. As part of the reflective process the artwork can be discussed with the therapist.
Individual Expressive Arts and Psychotherapy sessions go for a duration of approximately 60 to 90 minutes and the fee is $130 for adults and $100 for teenagers and pre-teens.
Concession: $80 (inclusive of GST) for approx 60 to 90 minute session.
A concession card will be required.
* Payments are to be made on the day
Rebates are available for select health funds. Police Health Fund Emergency Services Health, St Lukes Health and Phoenix Health provider number of AC17259T